Saturday, April 23, 2011

People who've been talking about feral learning - Dr Alison Ruth (Vicarious Conversations)

Defining Flexible Learning 

posted by Alison Ruth on 24 March 2008 on her  Vicarious Conversations blog

So, is flexible learning new? Gee, what a loaded question. In some ways, it is a new concept that we recognise and promote, but I think there have always been some elements of flexible learning around, we’re just getting better at talking about it. I came across a phrase a few years ago, and it’s one that has stuck with me since and that is feral learning. Ted Nunan first used it as a kind of throw-away statement in a paper about Flexible Learning. Since then, feral learning has taken on a new meaning for me (compare it to the way we do our PhD research as opposed to the structured processes in degree programs). But I don’t think it (feral learning) is really useful as a phrase for discussing structured learning environments, which is where I am most likely to be found. There are elements of feral learning in both flexible and blended learning environments.

No comments:

Post a Comment