Saturday, April 23, 2011

People who've been talking about feral learning - Stephanie Zimmerman (ALA Learning Round Table)

Feral Learning posted December 29, 2009 By Stephanie Zimmerman  at  The American Library Association Learning Round Table
The original title of this post was going to be “Using FREE Online Resources for Continuing Education”. However, I was reading my Training Doctor Newsletter for November 2009 (yes, I’m a little behind and you should subscribe too) and came across a term that is new to me, feral learning. The newsletter states:
The term “feral learning” was coined in the 1990s by Ted Nunan, perhaps, or by Dr. Roy Lundin. It is in reference to employees taking control of their own training needs and education by utilizing resources they find themselves (such as Google).
Beautiful description of how I go about meeting my training needs with a very small budget. In these trying times, I currently have no CE budget, so I’m grateful that I have developed the skill of furthering my knowledge through online connections.

No comments:

Post a Comment